View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
AuthorMessage
JustV12

PostSubject: Re: Duane's Classic Jaguar Quiz   Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:14 pm

Why, are that crickets I'm hearin??

62 MK 10 Silver Grey
89 XJ-S Convertible
89 XJ-12 VDP BRG. In Canada Vanden Plas is NOT a Daimler Double Six, its the highest model Jag.
1949 Daimler Barker db18 Special Sports 2.5 Litre Drop Head Coupe (See my Icon pic)
1985 XJ-6 Daily driver (Yes I am very serious. Rust? What rust?)
1989 XJ-S Convertible grey parts car

Plus ummm a 2001 VW Passat estate, belongs to my wife...honest.
And I would never admit to owning a 2002 Pontiac Montana...EVER.
Back to top Go down
http://www.contigoliving.com
JustV12

PostSubject: Re: Duane's Classic Jaguar Quiz   Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:00 pm

Crickets chirping in the Texas night. While a lone cowboy with a guitar sings
"give me land lots of land, Lots of starry sky's above..."

I have to think of a clue here, I really do not want to win this...
One clue to part one is in the title of this web forum, does that help?
You needn't go too far back for another clue to that same question... Carl should get this one.
I feel like I owe another 1/2 pint for this...The answer to the first part can be found in the fact that the cars involved had an XJ prefix code and the other one is one of the name projects.

"don't fence me in..."

62 MK 10 Silver Grey
89 XJ-S Convertible
89 XJ-12 VDP BRG. In Canada Vanden Plas is NOT a Daimler Double Six, its the highest model Jag.
1949 Daimler Barker db18 Special Sports 2.5 Litre Drop Head Coupe (See my Icon pic)

Back to top Go down
JustV12

PostSubject: Re: Duane's Classic Jaguar Quiz   Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:07 am

Well my dear faithful quizzer friends:

I hope you believe me when i say I don't like totally stumping you all in these things and it makes me think the questions are too obtuse.

However, no pain really. Just wait for a new question I suppose.
The next question is quite a bit of fun and involves Sir Lyons personal in office something or other.
It will make you laugh.

OK, so here is the answers to this weeks and I did think the first part would be simple.
The first car to go was the 420, (the car with the XJ prefix as in XJ 16)
This left the small saloons and the 420G the latter of which lasted until 1970 and when it was gone it was the last of the old guard and of course it was the car referenced in the clue as having had a project name (Zenith) rather than a prefix XJ.

SO first car gone= 420
Last car out of the pool= 420G

Now for the other part of the story. I will cut to the chase here and say that the arrested board member was "John Silver". In the story below it states that he was never adequately replaced.

It would seem that Jaguar was in no end of flurry at the time of the BMC merger and things were not flowing quite as they should with the internal memos floating about.
And for your reading pleasure I offer you this very raw outlook. An unedited historical account:

The period in which the XJ4 was developed was a time of major corporate change for Jaguar. 1965 Was an interesting year for the Coventry firm. In January, the firms highly regarded Production Director, John Silver, was arrested and subsequently jailed for fraud. In a sense Silver was the first of Jaguar’s old guard to leave the management team, and Technical Director William Heynes was later to lament that Silver was never adequately replaced. At 53 years of age, Silver was one of the younger Jaguar directors on an ageing board. In June and July 1965 the Browns Lane plant endured a four week strike when two polishers refused to rectify faulty workmanship, one of the most damaging in the company’s history. Despite the problems Jaguar still managed to produce 21,314 saloons that year.

But an analysis of the figures shows that clearly all was not well with the Coventry concern, despite the ‘official’ version of history long pedalled by historians. For one thing, Jaguar did not and indeed had never operated a nightshift, suggesting there was not a pent up demand for the company’s products, despite Browns Lane having a theoretical capacity to produce up to 50,000 cars a year.

Also there was the alarming decline in sales of the top of the range MkX. Production peaked at 6572 in 1963 but collapsed dramatically to 2458 in 1964. The Introduction of the 4.2-litre engine boosted production to 3296 in 1965, but declined again to 2023 in 1966. The MkX introduced in 1961, was Jaguar’s most up to date model, but clearly after a promising start, it had flopped, selling less than the models it replaced. The company responded by producing the XJ16 420 as a stopgap, modernising the ageing S-type to produce the 420. Jaguar seemed to have reached a plateau in its fortunes, unable to progress further to take on the likes of Mercedes-Benz in the luxury car sector at a time of escalating development costs.

The need for the XJ4 project was therefore pressing for the future of the company as this memo of 18 February 1966 from Sir William Lyons to Technical Director William Heynes illustrates: ‘I am informed that Pressed Steel intend to inform us that the programme for the XJ4 will have to be put back yet again. I am sure that you must agree is a most serious situation and must be regarded as an indictment against our engineering capabilities…

‘We have failed because we have believed that we have no suitable people within our Engineering Division to whom responsibility can be entrusted… these people will have to be found if Jaguar Cars is to continue to be a successful company… Initial design and development must come under the control of two different teams, one concentrating on design and the other on development. They must be given responsibility and not held up by waiting for decisions from above… In this way projects can be stepped up, and although it may mean some of them will have to be discarded, the full time of the design team will be employed on producing something new… a tremendous amount of brain power and time is wasted as we are operating today.’

Excerpted from: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

With that we are off for the weekend and we will see you Monday.
Does anyone remember the boat that Sir Lyons had for family recreation?
called it the "Sea Type".
Look for similar humour to come out of Mondays question.

Cheers!

DG

62 MK 10 Silver Grey
89 XJ-S Convertible

Back to top Go down
JustV12

PostSubject: Re: Duane's Classic Jaguar Quiz   Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:20 am

Greetings faithful quiz people!
It is in fact still Monday as I write this and I am giggling as I go here.

I have a simple question this week, and not even a two part question.
I feel I owe it to you all for the occasional obtuse and supremely obscure questions I pull out and torture you with. So here by way of apology, is a question that may not be any less obscure, but at least it is hilariously funny when you get the answer. Although you may not be at all convinced of my contrition.

So here it is:

Lets say it is now 1972, or what the hey, its 1971 and you just bought a newfangled 12 Cylinder E-type and you are so enamored with it (probably because your opeless ignition box had yet to crack up from heat for the 18th time)...anyway you just want to send a telex to Jaguars head office in Coventry or maybe to Sir William his own self!

So to do that you needed to know the telex number which was five digits, then you needed to know the code. The code was something like a pin number that you could choose but it was shared insted of hidden.

Anyone car to guess what Sir William had for a Telex code??

Rememebr now, this was a man with a profound sense of humour if you recall the name of his boat which was "Sea Type".

OK so the telex code was.....

62 MK 10 Silver Grey
89 XJ-S Convertible

Back to top Go down
newtnote
Members

PostSubject: Re: Duane's Classic Jaguar Quiz   Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:13 pm

I never heard of a Telex Code Duane, so I had to do some research on your question.  The only thing I could find was Bentley's Second?
Back to top Go down
JustV12

PostSubject: Re: Duane's Classic Jaguar Quiz   Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:10 am

Where is Australia on this forum?
If any one says its next to New Zealand I will seriously abuse my moderating powers!  lol! 

We used to have a good representation from Australia so, Just curious...

62 MK 10 Silver Grey
89 XJ-S Convertible

Back to top Go down
JustV12

PostSubject: Re: Duane's Classic Jaguar Quiz   Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:04 am

Ladies and Gents:

Barbara has it. Indeed I am in possession of a letter written by Sir William's himself.
I noticed the code first thing and commenced a giggle fest worthy of a teenage girl meeting some pop star. Maybe I will forward it to Carl to post as a sample?

Sir William's code was Bentley's 2nd.

Here here Sir William!

OK, for my next trick I pull a VW rabbit out of my boot...

Cheers, hope we all enjoyed this one and see you Monday.

DG

62 MK 10 Silver Grey
89 XJ-S Convertible

Back to top Go down
JustV12

PostSubject: Re: Duane's Classic Jaguar Quiz   Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:12 am

My very Canadian apologies here, but I am off to an international Military conference in Kingston Ontario tomorrow. Wont be back til Sunday. Hence my tipping you off on the winner so early.

What is an "International Military conference" you ask?
A curling bonspiel with Canadian armored corp members coming home from bases around the world to compete against one another in a curling tournament where the winners have to buy the losers the next round. Imagine the soldiers stationed in Germany coming all the way home just to buy me a pint of Guinness? I feel so patriotic!

OK wish me luck (Or not) either way its a winner, but i will likely not be on forum til Sunday or Monday at best.

Cheers to this weeks winner Barbara and if she can stop giggling long enough she can have as many hours off as she wants to soak up the California sun!

Cheerio all!
DG

PS to Ernie, I am in your neighborhood this weekend. Come to CFB Kingston and cheer us on!

62 MK 10 Silver Grey
89 XJ-S Convertible

Back to top Go down
JustV12

PostSubject: Re: Duane's Classic Jaguar Quiz   Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:40 am

Hmmm, its Wednesday Morning and no one has knocked on my door yet.
Figuratively speaking of course.
Schedules are wonky this week and last, so I will post before the days out and we will conclude at weeks end. I am in New York from Thursday to Monday but I will be monitoring things while away.

OK, question coming.

Duane

62 MK 10 Silver Grey
89 XJ-S Convertible

Back to top Go down
Car-Nut
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Duane's Classic Jaguar Quiz   Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:54 am

Bring it on Duane…. Wink

Once you are in NYC you will be eating big steaks and drinking and will forget us…..  celebrating 

Clive
1970 4.2 420G -17th from last RHD -Reggie
1970 4.2 420G -13th from last RHD -Ronnie
Symposium Enquiries to The Global Team  Arrow [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Worldwide Supplier of Parts for Jaguar MK10 420G
Back to top Go down
http://www.jaguarmk10420gsymposium.com/
JustV12

PostSubject: Re: Duane's Classic Jaguar Quiz   Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:02 am

Yes, however visiting my daughter who is increasingly in the public eye, will put a brake on any real indulgence. I will fortunately or not, remember everything.

Now where is that question?
Soon as I finish the Jag club agenda I will be back here.

62 MK 10 Silver Grey
89 XJ-S Convertible

Back to top Go down
JustV12

PostSubject: Re: Duane's Classic Jaguar Quiz   Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:27 am

Oh I do laugh when I read very old road tests from magazines, so lets have a laugh together shall we?

Here is the scenario:

its 1961 and you've just bought a brand new E-Type, because you are just that well connected and everyone around you is in a jealous fit. Anyway, you drive to the dealer in that old tatty XK 140, or perhaps it was some kind of hand me down from the family...perhaps a 1957 Armstrong Siddley that your father got tired of and passed on to you while he got his new Bentley or Daimler?

So you pick up the new car and slide in after twisting your knees a bit, then head out and then you turn on the radio, you did order a radio didn't you? Well I hope so because if you didn't you cant participate in this weeks fun question now can you?

So for those of you with the FORE SITE to have ordered said radio, read on; you turn on that radio and it warms up as you tune in to your favourite station which would likely be playing popular music because, well you are slightly caddish and hip so of course you want to be up to date on whats going on in the world, right? Or at least think you are.

Right, so what artist(s) would have be very likely to have been played within the first hour of turning the radio on?

I will accept three of the top artists of the day one is too obvious as a soldier and I am looking for an American in particular who was very popular and had eventually died in the UK.

And...Since you ordered the car and radio from the factory, what is the brand name of the radio likely to be?

Remember, the British era had not yet started, America still ruled the pop airwaves,
But wasn't old Blighty making an international scene in the auto world!!?

OK so this should be easy peasy.

When I have a calm schedule I will become obtuse again, I promise.

Anyone watch "Heartbeat"? Brit drama with old bikes and cars?
Hate missing that show, great period British music in it and every week a treat of automotive wonderment. Even if it is a simple Ford Consul or summin like at.

OK, there you go! See you next week!

62 MK 10 Silver Grey
89 XJ-S Convertible

Back to top Go down
Car-Nut
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Duane's Classic Jaguar Quiz   Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:42 am

Radio - Motorola Question

Clive
Symposium Enquiries to The Global Team  Arrow [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Back to top Go down
JustV12

PostSubject: Re: Duane's Classic Jaguar Quiz   Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:39 am

Well here we are again and seriously off schedule this time!
However, all is not lost no one goes to jail and all we want is an answer correct?

I could accept Motorola I was thinking "RadioMobile" if the factory put it in.
My understanding from our North American expert is that dealers put in the Motorola's but you know how reliable this info can be eh?

Now then for the interesting bit, there is a clue in everything if you find it
The top answer for the three artists would have been Eddie Cochrane.

When I said this seemingly innocently:

Anyone watch "Heartbeat"? Brit drama with old bikes and cars?
Hate missing that show, great period British music in it and every week a treat of automotive wonderment. Even if it is a simple Ford Consul or summin like at.

It referred to the American rocker who died in Britain, the clue was that he was in a Ford Consul taxi when the fatal accident happened. This is a Wikipedia verifiable answer.

The other would be Elvis of course and the third one I would accept just about anyone else you could think of and these in any order at all.

So that's it for this week.

OK, it was 72 degrees in New York yesterday when we awoke. I did so look forward to a bit of cool spring driving I did. But this morning on Toronto we awoke to snow on the ground.

So now I am going to see if I can gain entry to my auto storage unit and play with MK 10 parts.
If so I am sure I can have a more MK 10 420 is question for you this coming Monday, which wait that was yesterday...

OK stay tuned while we once again get back on schedule.
And Clive, I will give you half pint of Guinness and lets say take the day off next time there is snow on the ground on a Wednesday!   Laughing 

Cheers all!

62 MK 10 Silver Grey
89 XJ-S Convertible

Back to top Go down
Car-Nut
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Duane's Classic Jaguar Quiz   Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:44 am

Cheers for the Guinness  Cheers

Now , I won't hold you up from those mk10 parts Wink

Clive
Back to top Go down
Car-Nut
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Duane's Classic Jaguar Quiz   Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:19 am

Hows the next question doing Duane Question

Clive
Back to top Go down
JustV12

PostSubject: Re: Duane's Classic Jaguar Quiz   Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:06 pm

Clive;

I am shocked at your patience and good nature.
I have not logged in here for so long that I had forgotten my password.
When a person neglects things to a point where it requires an explanation which is not given and time turns days into weeks and then months, it would be expected that a person would then lose credibility and speculation would be such that he would (or should) be replaced.

It appears that this has not happened and so I may publicly here lay out this past year to you and whomever wishes to read it.

In January of this year I took on the roll of president of our local Jaguar club and I am well within the mark when I say that this 55 year old and very storied club was in disarray and the club was crumbling. Going from near to 300 members and down to 97 members in less than 5 years under the old guard whom I have replaced with new executives.
If something had not been done the club would have folded within a very short few years and no one wanted that.
We had in fact become the "North Korea" of car clubs in our organization as well as with the clubs that we share the roads with in our province of Ontario. Such was the reputation gained by the actions and attitudes of our previous executive. Frankly made up of only two men.

Little could I have know the time I would have needed to restore the club back to its hey day state and the time needed to correct wrongs done and patch things up with our parent organization (WHO WERE QUITE FRANKLY DANCING ON TABLES AT THE CHANGE OF GUARD) Sorry about the caps, accident.

Anyway, it seems that my time has been given to this club in a very full time capacity with all the overtime I can give and between that and my commitment to my Canadian Army Regiment and serving our regimental veterans this site has gone off my radar. This is even with the help of my wife who is the club secretary and very involved with this club resuscitation effort.
I assure you all that it is not for lack of interest. Anyone who has read my story of affection for the Zenith car will surely understand that with clarity this site is rather unique and special to me.

As the season comes to an end though, I have expanded our executive and many who were formerly reluctant have joined on to assist. I have indeed become the visionary director in the past month or two and our activities this year have been off the charts. By May of this year we had done more as a club than we had done during the entirety of 2013 combined.
Today was our final driving event of the year and like all other events we have had in 2014 it has smashed all previous records that we have kept for the entire 55 years of existence. We are well on our way to enjoying credibility again in the car community.
More people came out than we have EVER had to any driving event in our history. Wow! With that comes an interested group who will take much burden off of my shoulders.

I came here to the symposium today to check on some of my old trivia questions in order to use them at a check point for today's rallye. I had zero time to prepare for this so I cheated, I thought of this quiz and here I was.
BTW the Morgan club joined us and did just as well as the Jaguar guys with answering trivia. British car people do stick together it seems.

When I opened the site i realized that I could not remember my password and had no time to figure it out so I simply read my old words and used them. But I was not about to miss your words to me posted only one week ago it seems.
Kind and humbling really. When I am not being thrown bricks at for dropping things it does give a warm feeling of being appreciated.

OK, so now that I have said all that, and I have done all the warm and fuzzy stuff I will promise you this, I shall continue only if you like and I will still offer the same level of challenge as before, but we will see about the schedule. I really do want to make it weekly but I hope not to drown on things again as I did this year.
I dont want to drop the ball yet again.

What I think I may do is offer a link to this site on our club website, if you are willing?
I will offer our members to sign on and participate as well.  There is still much to do with modernizing our club and its communications including fixing our very old fashioned website.

We are a small membership on this symposium site but marvelous things have come from it. This is well worth preserving and so I will attempt to press on, CLive willing LOL!

My apologies to all who missed the quiz.

Shall we give it another go?
Let me put back my thinking cap and come up with something we can all enjoy.

Cheers to you all.

Duane

62 MK 10 Silver Grey
89 XJ-S Convertible

Back to top Go down
Car-Nut
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Duane's Classic Jaguar Quiz   Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:50 am

Great to see your reply Duane and good luck with your club mission.

Sorry also for my late reply after a busy summer with weddings and hires
we just squeezed a much needed trip to Mauritius for a recharge of weary limbs.

First day back tomorrow and Reggie is out on another wedding.

Then back to paperwork and working my way through the job list with Ronnie.

More anon..

PS banner images required.

Clive
Back to top Go down
JustV12

PostSubject: Re: Duane's Classic Jaguar Quiz   Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:40 am

OK, lets see if I remember how to do this...
OK so now its 1968 and that crummy old '61 E-type you bought years ago is getting long in the tooth, rusty and too many miles. Sorry you drove it all those winters but hey, you are in LUCK because a young chap down the street offered you 800 pounds for it and you take the money and RUN to the dealer for a brand new E-Type because you are just that kind of masochist. Glad to be rid of the old clunker and the poor kid that bought it? Well you feel sorry for him having taken him to the cleaners like that.

OK so you have your new E-Type and you have come into the late sixties MODern world with a much improved series 2 E-type.

OK, so you pick up your car...you drive away and you turn on the radio....

What model might this radio be If its a certain model it will only have a certain amount of buttons rather than a similar model from the same company with ONE extra button. how many buttons are on it and why was this radio one of the chosen ones and why was there even restrictions as to which one could be installed??

OK so series two E Type;
What types of radios were installed,
why was there a restriction on the radio types?

GO!

PS;

Should I give you all 5 months to answer this, given the five months it took to ask it? LOL

62 MK 10 Silver Grey
89 XJ-S Convertible

Back to top Go down
JustV12

PostSubject: Re: Duane's Classic Jaguar Quiz   Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:41 am

Hi Clive, glad to know I am not the only busy oe.
Banner images you say?
I will see what I can do.

DG

62 MK 10 Silver Grey
89 XJ-S Convertible

Back to top Go down
Car-Nut
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Duane's Classic Jaguar Quiz   Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:53 am

Thanks forge question...

Duane and all members please email banner images direct to the email below Smile

Clive
Back to top Go down
JustV12

PostSubject: Re: Duane's Classic Jaguar Quiz   Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:40 pm

OK its been a rough week over here in Canada.
But we have it together.

The answer to the question is: Philips five button radio. The six button model would not fit due to the heater gear behind the console so the five button was specified by Jaguar.
There were other radios available from dealers but they all had to have the same dimensions as the recommended radio.

OK there is my less than alive answer, but hopefully I can "come alive" again for another question.
Maybe I will try again this week no?

62 MK 10 Silver Grey
89 XJ-S Convertible

Back to top Go down
Car-Nut
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Duane's Classic Jaguar Quiz   Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:04 pm

Wake up Duane.....

Clive
Back to top Go down
Car-Nut
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Duane's Classic Jaguar Quiz   Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:03 am

Duane, I hope you are putting together your next quiz question, now you have found your login good idea

Clive
Back to top Go down
JustV12

PostSubject: Re: Duane's Classic Jaguar Quiz   Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:25 am

It was tough being lost in cyberspace Clive, but here we go for a rejuvenation.

Anyone logging in and checking this thread, PLEASE TAKE NOTE:
We shall begin the quiz once more.

Questions beginning by Friday April 1st at latest, Is that an appropriate date?

Cheers
DG

62 MK 10 Silver Grey
89 XJ-S Convertible

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Duane's Classic Jaguar Quiz   

Back to top Go down

Duane's Classic Jaguar Quiz
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 16 of 17Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17  Next